Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2008 - reflections

2008 was a mixed bag for me.

Both my grandparents, my Oma and Opa, died within a few months of each other. We had a ceremony to bury their ashes recently and it was weird to think of those two wonderful, lively people reduced to a small box of ashes. It's still hard to believe that that is all that is left of a person.

2008 was the year I finally left the world of finance and entered the world of government policy. After 5 years with the same company, it took a massive own boot up the arse to get me to move. I'm not sure this is the right job for me, but I'm proud I made the effort to change.

2008 was the year of air travel: the Bloke and I went to Melbourne (me for work, him to be the trophy husband); we went to Byron Bay with friends; and Mum and I went to New Caledonia.

Financially, it was a much better year, with money saved for a house deposit. We still need to save more, but we can realistically look at buying a place within the next 12 months to 2 years. Something I never thought possible with Sydney's sky high real estate prices.

It was also the year of exercise, something I've traditionally fought against. I now cycle for an hour a day, 5 days per week.

For my friends 2008 was a year of change. My best friend got married, quit her job and went travelling in Asia for 6 months with her husband. Another friend also quit her job and is travelling. Two more friends decided to leave Sydney, one to Victoria, the other to Queensland because they have a better chance of actually having a nice lifestyle there. And quite a few of friends had their first baby.

So 2009 finds me married and in my 30s (early 30s I hasten to add!) with a job in the public service and a trip to the UK organised for the middle of the year. You can't stop time!

4 comments:

  1. It seems that for most people, 2009 is 'the year for them'. I'm feeling positive about it, I'm sure it will be better for you too.

    (Just make sure said house has a dedicated snoozing/comfy room for KS, she will demand it or take over yours) :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey kimmy

    happy new year. I am trying to find people and add them - just seem to be rather clueless with some of you. where is the follow your blog link? anyway...sigh...I'm around.

    2009 is my year...trust me! yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello chooky - I can't find how to follow you blog either

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tray: What do you mean? KS owns the whole house!! ;)

    Tam: Yay, good to have around. I'm going to have another look at the set up of this site to get the follow link up and happening.

    Foxy: *waves*

    ReplyDelete