Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Black is the new.... Black?

Another black-out in the city today. It's embarrassing that we can't keep the lights on! Everyone groaned when we realised that we'd lost whatever we'd been working on.

We all gathered in the office with the most natural light and chatted about which movies we'd seen lately etc. There wasn't much else we could do for the next hour or so until the lights came back on!

I can't believe that this is the second blackout in the last few months that has affected the city - most buildings blacked out, people stuck in lifts, traffic lights on the blink....

In other news, I almost hit a dog when I was cycling home last night. It darted out from under the bushes. I hit my brakes. The dog hit his brakes - almost scrabbling backwards in his attempt to stop. He dropped the ball he was carrying and skidded on the concrete. We avoided disaster after a bit of swearing on my part. I'm sure he would have sworn, in his own little doggie style, if he could. Phew.

5 comments:

  1. I take it that NSW privatized it's power companies too? Time to tar and feather the pollies who did it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Must seem surreal when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not very nice when we have been brought up with the power there at a touch of a switch, you do know in England there is no power at night now and we have to use candles!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bangarr: Not privatised, but state-owned corporations. The then premier, Morris Iemma tried to privatise Energy Australia but was blocked by the unions, resulting in a "lack of confidence" vote by his own party against him and his ultimate removal from power.

    Kate: It is very strange. Makes you realise how dependent on computers we are. I literally spend the whole day working at my computer.

    Stu: Candles, how romantic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know who's state govt is worse - yours or hours. How bad does it have to get before they get turfed?

    ReplyDelete